ADM Load Balancer
Traffic processing in carrier-grade networks with equipment that does not participate in packet routing such as service quality control systems, IDS/IPS, LI, DPI, etc. often requires additional measures for the distribution of traffic among the modules of the listed platforms. This is due to the following factors:
• Low performance of a module of the additional processing system (further APS) compared to the total capacity of data transfer channels at the switching point.
• Necessity for load balancing. In case of uneven traffic distribution in a bundle of data transfer channels, a number of APS modules will be overloaded, and the remaining modules will be idle.
• Necessity for the load distribution on a per-subscriber basis. Traffic distribution in the aggregated channel between BRAS and the external router is usually performed by the transport level sessions. The use of systems (such as LI or DPI) that require the transfer of the whole subscriber traffic volume through the same module creates the necessity for the traffic distribution among the APS modules by IP addresses, which in most cases cannot be performed by using the standard network equipment.
• Necessity for the pre-filtering of traffic in order to delete data streams that do not require processing. For example - LI pre-filter.
• Low occupancy of data transfer channels. In some cases data transfer channels are loaded less than for one third of their maximum capacity. The cost-effective solution for such network could be the reduction of the number of APS system modules through the aggregation of traffic consisting of several data transfer channels to the minimum sufficient number of APS modules.
• Necessity for the traffic copying among several recipients. With the availability of several systems that work with a traffic copy mode, operator can organize a cascade connection of optical splitters but this model is limited to the optical budget and requires several tie-ins in the channel. Operator also has an option of installation of a system that will duplicate the traffic received from one set of splitters among different subsystems.
ADM LB system for traffic aggregation and balancing is designed for use in the listed scenarios and allows the traffic redistribution with configurations up to 32x10GE.
|Number of ports||32x10G|
|Bypass||External intelligent bypass|
|Power||2 sources of 220VAC or -48 VDC, 750 W|
|Size||H: 44mm; W: 438mm; D: 525mm (1U)|
Three LI extractors are switched to the load balancer. Two modules are in operation and one is used for a backup. Traffic from SPAN ports of the router goes to the load balancer that provides traffic redistribution and pre-filtering. The redistribution is performed according to the strike of the same extractor by the traffic of one subscriber. Pre-filtering prevents transfer of traffic involving protocols and applications that do not require processing via LI module. In the case of failure of one of the extractors, traffic will be switched to the backup module.
to M recipients, (N+M)<=32
from N sources among M recipients,
(N+M)<=32. Active connection
outgoing ports by the key
according to the processing of traffic of the same
subscriber on one module
to the configured model (recipient ports are
assigned to the load source ports)
external processing modules
PDP contexts/bearers of one
subscriber on the same processing device.
RADIUS integration with a network engine
that processes the load.
Failed device exclusion from the processing
or optical splitters